About my blog.

I am an Indian student currently studying for my MBA at the University of Salford,Greater Manchester, UK.
This blog will detail my study in the UK, aswell as details on how I find life in the UK. I will discuss my postgraduate study in England and what I'm doing in my spare time.
If you would like information about the University of Salford, please email international@salford.ac.uk or visit www.salford.ac.uk

Enjoy the blog.

Sunday 6 February 2011

Choosing the University

One of the biggest problems with choice is the fear of missing the best option. Fortunately, I picked the best and am enjoying the fruit of it now. When I was applying for universities, I looked for ranking, accreditation and finance and shortlisted quite a few. I did get offers from most of them but I selected Salford primarily because I received the prestigious Vice-Chancellor Scholarship award worth 5000 pounds. Also Salford being a century old institution and known for its technical competence, I gambled on Salford by leaving all other universities. 

From the various financial benefits I obtained from Salford, the 5k scholarship is found to be a start of it. I would like to discuss here some tricks (can call it as tips) that I learned from the past four months which might help anyone to minimize expenditure while having the maximum fun. First of all, if you are fun loving person who love to visit new places and tour around, the easiest thing is to become member to University communities and teams. Especially Interlink is the best way to explore if you are an international student as all the trips are free and exciting. Joining International society will help us to have cheapest trips all over UK. Also from this year the university is paying for our membership and we need not even bother about that too.

My University

Second, if you need to have some extra income then there are a plenty of part-time jobs all around Manchester and some even within the university. To start up with, the university will be conducting job fair where many prospective employers will gather together to give us job. And just by checking the university activities will help us to get the right job. Am sure that working some extra hours can help us to get whatever we want as far as we are in UK. If our money is properly administered it would be more than enough to cover all our day to day expenses as long as we live in UK. Also by selecting a university outside London, we can save more than 50% in the accommodation alone. 
And the third is the exciting part. That is to plan for the future and work. This is my personal favorite also. It’s developing our self and improving our CV with good reference without spending a penny. Joining in communities like SIFE, our personal skills like leadership, organizational abilities and team work can be enhanced. More than that, if there is an entrepreneur within you with the ambitious ideas, Salford is willing to give the office space and also sponsor it. What else is needed? (For more details visit http://www.sifesalford.com/ )
Though I missed to join in some of the communities I listed, I made sure to utilize them this semester and started taking part. After all, my university life might be for another nine months only. So I want to get the best out of it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment